In the New York Times!

Sunday, February 14, 2010

I'm in the New York Times!

I should probably play it cool for any new readers today and pretend like having an op-ed in the Times is no big deal, but I can't. I'm way too excited. I'm in the New York Times! SO COOL! As a single woman, I have to admit that normally I wouldn't be looking forward to Valentine's Day, but this year - I'll make an exception.

So, the main point I wanted to make in this little piece is that there is a lot in common between the present day and what was going on one hundred years ago. Sure, I laugh at my advertisers on a pretty regular basis, but I think underneath everything, the sentiments they express are an awful lot like what I hear today. Different words, different language choices, different priorities - but the same idea. I think that's especially apparent with the missed connections, which are so like what you see in craigslist missed connections. But it's true for all of them, and I don't think I'd find these ads as fascinating and entertaining as I do if there wasn't something to relate to in all of them. Well, most of them. Some of them not so much. Maybe not this person. Or the stalkers. But you know what I mean.

In any event, below are the actual ads quoted in the article. Enjoy!

Happy Valentine's Day!

©2010 Pam Epstein

J February 14, 2010 at 9:20 AM

Loved seeing your article in the NYTimes! What a great diss topic . . . Good luck!

corey February 14, 2010 at 9:55 AM

Congrats!

Miss Trudy February 14, 2010 at 12:04 PM

Congratulations. It is a grand thing to be quoted in the NYT, and your blog deseves it.

Mochicho February 14, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Quoted in a Spanish blog ElMolinoonline.com

BH February 14, 2010 at 2:15 PM

Boy was I surprised when I read the Times this am.
Congrats.
Bud

leitourgeia February 14, 2010 at 4:23 PM

Hello from Bloomington, Indiana! I just heard you talking about your dissertation on the local NPR affiliate -- very interesting stuff!

I have a friend whose parents met through his dad placing a personal ad in a national magazine. It is a story that is very much along the lines of what you describe, only 30 years ago rather than 160 years ago. You might find the story useful; my friend's name is Michael Forbes and his address is michael.forbes (AT) yahoo.com. If you contact him, please tell him that I suggested you do so.

Best of luck!

Richard Barrett

Pam February 14, 2010 at 4:56 PM

Thanks, everyone!

J - It really is a great topic! I love my project.

Corey - thanks for the plug on 10,000 Birds!

Miss Trudy - indeed, I'm just thrilled out of my mind. Thanks.

Mochicho - I can't believe I've already been translated into Spanish! What a thrill!

Richard - that sounds like a fascinating story. If I think of a place for something so recent, I will get in touch! Thank you for the contact info.

Bianca February 14, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Congrats on the press!! Yay!

Anonymous February 20, 2010 at 5:43 PM
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous February 20, 2010 at 5:44 PM

Here's my version:
A used be be younger lady of 38, who's portfolio has taken a tumble, said to be pretty and curvy, usually right, seeks friend first maybe husband later. Not finding any one of her acquaintance who is available or otherwise taken, she has concluded to take this method of discovery. The happy gentleman must have potential, be open ... See Moreto style suggestions, handsome (hairclub? that's ok) and funny. None other need apply. Address within three days, giving name and full particulars, and enclosing carte de visite in jpg format, - Feb 20, 2010

Anonymous February 20, 2010 at 5:46 PM

Hey Pam - please remove my first/last name from above -- oops - thanks! -Erika

Pam February 20, 2010 at 6:20 PM

Erika - Love it!! Go check out "My Name is Naughty Lola" - I think you'd get a kick out of it.