Walter

Tuesday, July 7, 2009

The first time I read these two ads, they just about broke my heart. Then I got kind of annoyed with Walter. He's trying to be comforting, but really, telling someone who is being abused to just remember that the abuser is just insecure must be pretty cold comfort. Then he has the temerity to say that his future looks just as gloomy as someone who is suffering, I assume, severe physical or emotional abuse, and says they both must "strive for contentment." Is that so, Walter?

But when I went back and read them again the other day, they broke my heart all over again. You see, I've spent years researching personal ads. I often didn't read the personals when I first acquired them; if I saw there was a column, I'd copy it. Then I label them, file them away in the most amazing program ever, Yep (they're not paying me for this; I'm happy to give them free publicity anytime. Yep, you rule!), and move on. So what I didn't realize until I read these again recently is that they were published almost two years apart.

Ouch. Sure, there were probably many, many Walters out there, and these ads could have, I suppose, been written by two different men. But honestly, I doubt it. So when I think about the fact that these people were dealing with whatever this dreadful situation was for years, I forgive Walter his condescension and just have pity.

So there are just two more Sadda and Lalla Rang ads, including today's. Then hopefully we can solve the mystery! Until then: "A. - Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang continue to blossom at No. 750 Broadway. G.A.S. CO."

Breukellen July 7, 2009 at 10:39 AM

Maybe Walter's future is more gloomy because he loves her and cannot be with her?

Breukellen July 7, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Or maybe he is dying.

Melinda July 8, 2009 at 5:49 AM

I admit that I have built a whole spy network around Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang. Or perhaps a different kind of secret organization of some sort. It sounds like it would fit right into a 19th century mystery novel.

DSK July 8, 2009 at 7:58 AM

I'm imagining Walter as a Jay Gatsby type. It's what pops in my head, even though I'm sure he's actually just some average (non-rich) joe.

Pam July 8, 2009 at 10:08 AM

@Breuk - you're much more generous than I! I do feel sorry for him, believe me.

@Melinda - I lean toward secret organization myself, but give me your thoughts today!

@DSK - I like the idea of him as Gatsby!!

Melinda July 8, 2009 at 2:18 PM

The perfect cover. Two women moving through high society, gathering the secrets of the rich and well positioned. Their contact G.A.S. leaves them coded messages in the personal ads of a newspaper giving them new orders and meetup details. I like the theory that they're like Charlie's Angels in an earlier reincarnation. Fighting crime and corruption while having good hair and looking fashionable.