Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang, Redux

Wednesday, July 8, 2009

So...who are Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang Can anyone tell?

In case anyone can't read the text, it is all right here:

Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang have been found out. G.A.S.

Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang are known. G.A.S.

A. - Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang are taken up. G.A.S.

Who are Sadda and Lalla Rang? Can anyone tell?

Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang promenaded in Fifth avenue in the morning and were admired later in the Park.

A. - The fairest flowers of the season. - Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang. So say we all of us.

Bib. - Who introduced Windy? G.A.S. Co. did not; nor do the two Rangs know him. Perhaps even his mother does not know he ventured out. Dod.

Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang are no heathens. They buy Christmas presents at many a store. G.A.S. Co.

A. - Sadda and Lalla Rang are observed at every fashionable Christmas party. Wonderful how they are multiplying themselves.

A. - Bib - What has happened to the two beauties, Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang? Have they moved? Dod.

A.A.A. - Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang still remain in excellent condition. G.A.S. Co. 750 Broadway.

A. - Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang continue to blossom at 750 Broadway. G.A.S. Co.

Bib - Why are Sadda and Lalla Rang so healthy? Because they are turned out by the Sanitary Company. Dod.

I'll post my thoughts on this tomorrow, but want to hear yours first!

Updates, by the way, may be a bit more sporadic in the next few weeks as I am on a "sabbatical" for a month trying to finish a chapter (or two) and - at least right now - have limited internet access. I will continue to post Monday through Friday, unless I can't.

Breukellen July 8, 2009 at 11:19 AM

Maybe it's a code, like how on craigslist people write about "skiing". That is all I got. So mysterious!

Anonymous July 8, 2009 at 12:13 PM

I've tried looking at the other posts about the "Rangs," but don't see a year in which these were written. Do you know the particular year? I am fascinated by this!

Pam July 8, 2009 at 12:57 PM

@Breuk - it's definitely a code for something...but what??

@Anonymous - I don't have the exact dates in front of me, but they were printed in the early 1870s.

leslie July 8, 2009 at 8:08 PM

Maybe the are two sisters who worked in a brothel, the Bell sisters, at that address? It's notices to alert their regular customers??

The GAS and Dod seem to be the real clues methinks...it seems they were either impregnated ("multiply") or arrested or had their periods ("turned out by the Sanitary company.)

Mike July 9, 2009 at 4:39 AM

What's at 750 Broadway?
-----------

A way to communicate with a spys or an undercover cop, perhaps?

M

Janet July 9, 2009 at 4:36 PM

I've done some searches in the NY Times archives and there were several things at 750 Broadway. It would help to know when exactly the ads ran.

In 1870 750 Broadway was the headquarters for the Seventh Assembly District Republican Party. In 1872 it was the Mutal Bank (which had a run on the bank and closed). In the later 1870s it was Richard Worthington Bookstore.

So some possibilities are coded messages between operatives of the Republican party (Seventh Assembly District = Sadda?), bank robbers planning a job, or announcements that the smut has arrived at the bookstore. Or none of the above, I just enjoy speculating!

Pam July 9, 2009 at 11:08 PM

@Janet - wow I can't believe you did this research! That's amazing. I love that you went and found this out, although, sadly, Sadda and Lalla won't be making the cut in the dissertation. Republican party operatives - that sounds intriguing. This was the era of Tammany Hall - the GOP would have needed some serious underground antics to survive...