How to win a man

Friday, July 3, 2009

This was in a "Matrimonial" column, but isn't the kind of ad you're used to.

Here's the text:

Matrimonial. - Ladies desirous of contracting matrimonial alliances should remember that where beauty and talent often fail, a pretty foot achieves a conquest. The subscriber, upon receipt of fifty cents in postal currency, will afford information which will enable anyone to make the feet appear much smaller than they are in reality. This is no humbug, since any one willing to submit at first to a little inconvenience can attain success. Address A.B.D. Hunter, box 163 Jersey City, N.J.

Well...okay then! I will have to bear this in mind, since I have rather large feet myself. Perhaps if they were smaller I'd be married by now? Seriously, there were plenty of ads for books or clairvoyants which would supposedly help you find a spouse, but this one is probably the most bizarre I've ever seen. I'm not touching this kind of ad when it comes to the dissertation - that's a whole other kettle of fish - but I thought you might find this little gem amusing.

It's a holiday weekend so I'm taking tomorrow and Sunday off, but tune in next week for the exciting conclusion of the Sadda Rang and Lalla Rang story.

Have a happy July 4th, everyone!

Ms Avery July 3, 2009 at 11:17 AM

Ha ha ha! Bizarre! I'd love to know if a lot of people fell for it, and what they got for their fifty cents...

dorianegray July 3, 2009 at 3:03 PM

And, for 50c you get told to wear high heels. And possibly, shoes a size too small as well.

I do wonder how many responses this ad got.

Mike July 3, 2009 at 4:53 PM

I don't know Pam, maybe there's something to this ad.

Soledad O'Brian (I love her name) on CNN once remarked how she was surprised at a certain type of letter she started to receive when first appearing on camera. They were remarkably well written considering the subject matter, namely why they didn't show her feet on camera. One gentleman, ever eager to be helpful, offered that if she she wasn't sure what to wear, might he suggest that a nice open-toed italian leather sandal, strapless ought to do it. :)

Bald Celeb Outing July 3, 2009 at 6:42 PM

that is so random!

Pam July 3, 2009 at 6:58 PM

I sure wish there was a way to know how many, if any, replies this guy got. So much that's untraceable!

@Mike - I remember hearing about that! Funny.

@Bald - Right? Like your blog, by the way. Very charming.

Breukellen July 7, 2009 at 10:48 AM

Geez, I wear a size 5, but no one wants to marry me :(

I wonder if there was a place for new york foot fetishists back then, as there are now.

Anonymous December 26, 2013 at 4:51 PM

There was a time when foot binding was fashionable. But that usually resulted in crippling the woman. But this just smacks of mail fraud.